Truro is located on the Salmon River east of the head of Cobequid Bay in central Nova Scotia. No one knows for sure where the name "Truro" originated. The name Truro has been given to the Township by 1759 before any English settlement had occurred.
The Town of Truro has a significant and distinctive collection of 19th and early 20th century buildings depicting Victorian and vernacular architecture. The Town recognizes the importance of preserving its local character and culture, built heritage and sense of place are among its top priorities.
Under the Heritage Property Act, Truro has established a Heritage Advisory Committee (HAC), which is one of the earliest committees of its kind in Nova Scotia. Also established are three Heritage Conservation Districts in the historic urban regional core. Within these districts, properties are subject to heritage conservation requirements and measures as contained in the Heritage Conservation District and By-law.