"This section provides data and information related to lmi-dashboard for Pictou County, NS lmi-dashboard https://townfolio.co/ns/pictou-county/lmi-dashboard
LMI Dashboard – Q4 2020 Update
- The size of the North Shore labour force declined slightly in Nov. 2020 compared to last year.
- Total employment in the North Shore region is down about 3,000 (-4%) in November over last year.
- The unemployment rate dropped from 7.1% last year to only 5.9% in November 2020.
- Primary industries, manufacturing and the public sector saw employment growth year over year.
- But government support programs such as the CEWS are masking some weakness in the labour market
- After CEWS was merged into the EI program, EI beneficiaries in Oct. 2020 were up 73% over last year.
- There were 2,780 EI beneficiaries in Pictou County compared to 1,610 in the same month last year.
- The number of permanent residents admitted to Pictou County dropped from 105 through Oct. last year to only 35 this year.
- The number of job vacancies across the North Shore region has been rising in recent years (up 15% in Q1 2020).
- The top occupations in demand are sales and service, manufacturing, food services, trades and health.
- In Pictou County, the top job postings are for customer service clerks, computer programmers, nurses, college instructors and help desk agents.
- In the media, rural broadband push means 97% coverage by 2022; Aqua Production Systems building new HQ and Trenton Park expanding.
Workforce Related Media
- Aqua Production Systems building new headquarters - Aug 2020
- Trenton Park expansion well underway - Sep 2020
- NS to have 97% rural broadband coverage by summer 2022 - Sep 2020
- Immigration slowdown could prove costly for Atlantic Canada, economist warns - Oct 2020
- Rural Nova Scotia shoppers respond positively to shop local plea - Dec 2020
- Rural Nova Scotia company ready to manufacture 3-layer masks with filters in time for winter - Nov 2020
- Mackerel catch limits coming to recreational fishery in Atlantic Canada - Oct 2020
- Northern Pulp receives new funding to pay employees more severance, retiree benefits - Sep 2020