Over the last century, the name and municipal boundaries of Flagstaff Region have shifted numerous times. The Municipal District of Flagstaff was first incorporated in December of 1912, with the first Council meeting held in January 1913 in the Village of Lougheed. In 1943, the Minister of Municipal Affairs issued an order that saw the formation of the enlarged Municipal District of Killam, whose name was changed back to Flagstaff the following year. The Municipal District of Flagstaff became the County of Flagstaff No 29 in 1968, and in 1998 the County underwent its final formation, dropping its numeric appendage and becoming simply Flagstaff County.
The Battle River borders the southern portion of the Region. The River eventually winds its way to the northeast, passing by beautiful country which provides for tall hills that have been used as landmarks ever since the first inhabitants.
The tallest point is known as Treaty Hill. The Cree had named it "Flag Hanging Hill", which is the origin of the current name "Flagstaff". Legend has it that Treaty Hill was a gathering place for the First Nation. And that this was where Bishop Grandin met the Blackfoot and Cree, and forged peace between them.
The Flagstaff Region was also home to the Iron Creek Meteorite, known as "Manitou Stone". This meteorite was located on a hilltop near Iron Creek. Early explorers noted that the meteorite had great significance for Natives in the region. The meteorite was removed sometime prior to 1869 by Methodist missionaries, and placed at the Fort Victoria Mission. In the 1880s, the Manitou Stone was removed to Victoria University and then it was moved to the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. It is now housed in the Royal Alberta Museum in Edmonton.
The Flagstaff Region has an extremely rich and diverse landscape which is characterized by level to gently undulating topography throughout the majority of the municipality which provides high potential for many outdoor recreation pursuits.